BusMate® Pluggable Busbar Connector Technology Enables Advanced Two-Way EV Charging Systems
Trends in EV Charging
DC Fast charging has become the preferred method because of its ability to charge EVs much faster than regular AC charging. DC can typically charge an EV to 80 percent in between 15-30 minutes, which makes usage of EVs for longer trips more practical.
- Vehicle to Grid (V2G) – enables EVs to send power upstream back into the grid, which holds the potential for improving overall electrical usage and sustainability and offset peaks in demand by tapping into EVs charging at home stations. Essentially, this turns thousands of EVs into connected battery storage for electrical grids.
- Vehicle to Home (V2H) – enables individuals to use their EVs as privately connected power sources that improve their personal energy consumption patterns. For instance, an EV could be charged at night when there is less demand on the grid and costs are lower and, then the EV could provide power to the home during the day when costs are higher.
Advanced On-board Chargers Require New Technology Approaches
This increased complexity is part of the overall power trends in EV mobility applications, in which current levels and functional integration are increasing as shown below:
- High ampacity-to-size ratios
- Robust contact interfaces
- Consistent coupling with auto-compensation for tolerance variations
- Small footprints to minimize PCB real estate usage
- PCB attachment options for through-hole, SMT and Press-Fit
Interplex’s BusMate® Power Interconnect System Addresses All These Key Factors
To accommodate a range of applications, BusMate® power couplers are available in SMT format or proven eye-of-the-needle solderless Press-Fit interfaces.
Robust Electrical Performance, Ease of Assembly and Configuration Flexibility
BusMate®’s pluggable Floating Contact Technology can accommodate large assembly tolerances of +/- 0.8mm offset and up to +/- 16 degrees of twist. In addition, it can handle a range of insertion depths and accommodate up to three re-mating cycles with no loss of performance.
Improved Design and Production for Power Interconnects
A high degree of configuration flexibility, combined with compact size, high power density and cost-effective volume manufacturing make BusMate® a logical choice for use across the widening range of power connectivity requirements in both current and emerging application areas.